News:

Apachefoorumi.net
Kuin kupillinen tuoretta spermaa.. etova, lämmin ja täynnä elämää.. 

Main Menu

Suomi Finland Prkl (For Foreigners)

Started by Lexa, Fri 25.03.2016 11:35:24 (UTC+0200)

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexa

WARNING: This topic contains a lot of media, and so may take a while to load at first, depending on your browser and connection. Just wait a bit!

This is Finland, Finnish people and the Finnish language.
Tätä on Suomi, suomalaisuus ja suomenkieli.

Finland was famous once. Conan could've picked a better beer though. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijWZA-7uHLk

Be afraid. Finland is a small country, with only about 5 million people, but we can do miracles when we really set our mind to it.

Turku used to be the capital of Finland, and is in fact one of the oldest towns in Finland. Today, Helsinki is the capital of Finland. I wonder why. :crazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrLx27Wo9t0
Welcome to Finland - Welcome to Turku.

Finnish is easy. As you can see.

Really, Finnish IS easy. There is so much you can do with just one word.

Seriously though, Finnish CAN be easy. When you've learned the grammar well enough to ignore it.

To completely master the language though, it will take the rest of your life. Even for a finn.

A prime example of how Finnish is simply ingenious, and easy. You can do so very much with so little words.

Again, a nice example of how simple a language Finnish can be.

Have I already mentioned finnish is a very versatile and powerful language if you know how to use it? Heres a real life example.

Along with "tota" which really doesn't mean anything (it is a filler, a spacer, derived from from the word "tuota") "Noni" is probably one of the most common words in the spoken Finnish language. Literally Noni could translate to something like "Well yes" or "Oh so" (No niin). It is hard to translate, as it is not actually a word at all.

"Niinku" or "Ninku" is also very very common, to the point of being absolutely worthless. It means something like "like", "as", or "like so", but in modern speach it literally has no real meaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxyKetL7u70

Kuusi palaa. A very popular example of how sometimes simple finnish phrases can have many different meanings, depending on context.

The latest fashion from 1975, presented to you by Urho Kaleva Kekkonen. UKK was a Finnish politician who served as Prime Minister of Finland (1950–1953, 1954–1956) and later as the eighth and longest-serving President of Finland (1956–1982).

"Lexa on koko Apache foorumin nettipoliisien PÄÄLLIKKÖ!" -Arto Lauri

The future unknown, but is there ever time to find out...?

Like what I do? Buy me a beer!

Tule mukaan Apachefoorumin Discord-kanavalle!

Lexa

The Finns have an inbuilt tendency to be a bit grim, and even our humour tends to be of the darker variety. Could this comparison of the colour profiles used in Japan and Finland in the Finnish Moomins animation series be part of the explanation?

This may have something to do with it as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GOdx-IZEbI
The finnish summer is very short, and the winters are long, dark and cold..

Possibly in part because of the long dark seasons in Finland, Finns are notorious drinkers. Have you ever considered challenging a Finn to a drinking contest? You might want to reconsider... 

Kalsarikännit (lit. Underwear intoxication) is one of the most accurate (and useful) Finnish words in existence. 

You can get beer almost anywhere in Finland. But only between 9am and 9pm. And no grocery can sell you anything with more than 4,7% alcohol in it. To fix that we have Alko. Alko is a state owned monopoly with high prices, made even higher by taxes. If you ever need to buy larger quantities of wine or drinks, it easilly comes cheaper to jump on a boat and go shopping in Estonia. 

The Finns also passionately love their coffee. Out of every 100 coffee beans, 1 is brought to Finland. Statistically every finn consumes about 12 kilograms of coffee every year, when for example in Italy the number is only 5,7kg, and in Spain 4,5kg. 

Finland is a land striving for equality. In Finland all are born equal. This does not mean that we don't have any sort of social classes, but it does mean that class differences are small in comparison to some other countries. Also the lowest classes are cared for, and no one is left on their own. 

The name in the picture has a typo, it should say Sauli Niinistö.

We are no strangers to cold . Each and every year we have temperatures around minus 20 to 40 degrees Celsius. We have learned to live with it. Snow is not a problem, cold is not a problem.

Although, during the coldest days of winter, you can see even a native Finn wearing a shirt.

From the very cold, to the extremely hot. There are more saunas than cars in Finland. You have not experienced a sauna, until you have been to a real Finnish sauna. In Finland. During the winter. 

Sauna and swimming. It is very common to have a sauna near water, and traditionally a beach sauna and swimming belong together. Some may take this even further with floating saunas that you have to swim to. 

Winter and the beach frozen over?  No problem! The Finns will not let some silly ice cover stop them from having a swim after sauna. Ice swimming is actually very popular in Finland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xml4N9A18Uo

In the first picture we see a guy asking the others if they'd like to get naked, sit down, spank each other and talk about their feelings and stuff. The others strongly refuse. In the second picture our guy modifies the offer, and says the room will be steaming hot, and the others immediately agree to come. The last picture is the outcome, three guys naked in a sauna.

Fact. Finns are not happy when they are forced to interact with strangers, but have no issues in getting naked and sweaty with them. As long as they can remain silent. 

A Finn ranting about how some people feel a strange need to say Hi to everyone anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRxuF95qTyY

Did you notice Kekkonen on the beer cans earlier?

Lexa

Throughout Finland mämmi is synonymous with Easter. This traditional Easter treat really divides the nation, you either love it or hate it. There is no in between. It looks like shit, it smells strange, and it's only really sold during Easter. Mämmi is truly an acquired taste. 

Another suspicious looking Finnish delicacy. Mustamakkara (lit. black sausage) is a blood sausage, traditionally eaten with lingonberry jam. This odd looking food is especially popular in Tampere. 

Finns drink a lot of milk. We rank high among other countries like Ireland and Estonia in our milk consumption. Valio is perhaps the best known producer of milk products in Finland. 

Salmiakki is another hugely popular Finnish taste. Kind of a salty liquorice. The flavor comes from ammonium chloride, which is the product from the reaction of hydrochloric acid and ammonia. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJBBakWOeEQ

Two very finnish things, combined  - The finns really are pretty heavy drinkers, and are somewhat passionate about their Koskenkorva ( a local booze ) and Salmiakki ( a local salty liquorice ). What could be better than both combined? Have you tried this already? 

Oh, by the way - There are no polar bears in Finland. It seems like a very common misconception that polar bears roam free around Finland. Actually the Brown Bear (Ursus arctos) is the national animal of Finland. 

One thing Finland is really known for around the globe, is sports. We have some great rally drivers, hockey players and so on. But there are many sports in Finland that you might not know about, such as Wife carrying (Finnish: eukonkanto or akankanto) is a contest in which male competitors race while each carrying a female teammate. The objective is for the male to carry the female through a special obstacle track in the fastest time. The sport was first introduced at Sonkajärvi, Finland.

Another funny sport, boot throwing, or welly wanging is a sport that actually originated in Britain, but has grown popular in Finland as well.

Mobile phone throwing is now an international sport that actually started in Finland in the year 2000. It is a sport in which participants throw mobile phones and are judged on distance or technique. The phones used vary not just between events but between competitors, with any phone that weighs over 220 grams being acceptable. At some events, the choice is down to personal preference from those provided by the event organisers, while others provide only one model of phone.

The World Sauna Championships was an annual endurance contest held in Heinola, Finland, from 1999 to 2010. They originated from unofficial sauna-sitting competitions that resulted in a ban from a swimming hall in Heinola. The Championships were first held in 1999 and grew to feature contestants from over 20 countries. The competitions were stopped after a a competitor died in 2010.

The Finnish mindset is something quite unique. A very well known finnish saying that we all learn at an early age. "Se mikä ei tapa, vahvistaa". In english: "What does not kill you, makes you stronger." A humouristic variant of this, still meaning the same, goes like "Mikä ei tapa, sattuu saatanasti". In english: "What does not kill you, will hurt like hell".

Repeat after:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjt-AeJkzf0

Lexa

By default, every finnish man is required to go through military training, ranging from 6 months to a year in service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XgpnjLlV1E

Today it is not at all uncommon to see women in the ranks as well, as Finland has allowed women in the army for some years now.

Many of the volunteer women in the defence forces actually stay for the whole year, and rise up the ranks.

While the men ... well, hard work and no play and so on...

A short informational video about the finnish defence forces. (Official release by the defence forces)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHLEY4uIqno

A couple of short less informative videos of the actual reality in the defense forces :psp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE-DAinS2Qk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-W8QVkrQuE

Coat of arms of Finland. The coat of arms of Finland is a crowned lion on a red field, the right foreleg replaced with an armoured hand brandishing a sword, trampling on a sabre with the hindpaws. The coat of arms was originally created around the year 1580. The coat of arms is a common motif in many types of finnish jewelry and clothing. 

Just so you don't forget, here's another picture of Kekkonen.

Lexa

The finnish public transport system is absolutely one of the best in the world, and we are never late because we chose the wrong train...  The only finnish subway runs in Helsinki, and it's map is surprisingly easy to memorize. 

Finnish medicine. The left sign says "Sauna, Karjala (a finnish beer) and tar". The right sign says "All you need to stay healthy".

There is actually an old saying in Finland, that goes like "Jos ei viina, terva ja sauna auta, niin tauti on kuolemaksi." meaning "If booze, tar and sauna won't heal you, you'll die." As morbid as it sounds, it was actually meant to encourage a patient, and remind them that most diseases will heal on their own.

Finns are natural complainers. We can find something to complain about in everything and anything. We are also a very musical people.
Combine the two, and you get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATXV3DzKv68

Did you know that Finland is also proud to have produced (one of) the worst music video(s) of all time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA5GkLM5C7M

False advertising? Yes, we are usually very calm, civil and silent. But, when we are not, it can take a lot of effort to calm us down again. 

An example of a Finn when not calm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuywUEdkvTM

Talks about the emotional coldness of Finns are largely exaggerated.

Lexa

Lexa

1. The Finns aren't "in a very bad mood"... they are like "a bear shot in the ass" (Kuin perseeseen ammuttu karhu).

2. The Finns aren't "broke"... they are "open in the ass" (Persaukinen).

3. The Finns aren't in a "great hurry"... they "run using a head as a third leg" (Juosta pää kolmantena jalkana).

4. The Finns don't think someone is "crazy"... they doubt "if one has all the Moomins in the valley" (Olla kaikki muumit laaksossa).

5. The Finns don't use a "computer"... they have a "knowledge machine" (Tietokone).

6. The Finns don't "get big-headed"... they have "piss coming up to their head" (Nousta kusi päähän).

7. The Finnish children don't wait for a Santa Claus on Christmas Eve... they wait for a ''Christmas buck" (Joulupukki).

8. The Finns don't ask "how are you?"... they ask "what are you hearing?" (Mitä sinulle kuuluu?)

9. The Finns don't call remote places "godforsaken"... they state that a place is "behind God's back" (Jumalan selän takana).

10. The Finns don't say women are curvy... they say that women "have something to get a hold on" (Olla jotain, josta pitää kiinni).

11. The Finns don't say "fuck you"... they tell you to "sniff cunt" (Haista vittu).

12. The Finns don't have fairytales about "dragons"... they tell stories about "salmon snakes" (Lohikäärme).

13. The Finns don't say someone looks extremely happy... they say one "smiles like a sun in Naantali" (Hymyillä kuin Naantalin aurinko).

14. The Finns don't say something "vanished into thin air"... they say it "disappeared like a fart in Sahara" (Kadota kuin pieru Saharaan).

15. The Finns don't say that "as a result of a rush something was implemented poorly"... they say something was "pissed while running" (Juosten kustu).

16. Angry Finns don't say they will "kill you" ...they offer to "take you behind the sauna" (Viedä saunan taakse).

17. The Finns don't encourage you (or themselves) to "drink more"... they just say that "a drop won't kill and you can't drown in a bucket" (Ei tippa tapa eikä ämpäriin huku).

18. The Finns don't think something is "very heavy"... they think it "weights like a sin" (Painaa kuin synti).

19. The Finns don't say that "it's water under the bridge"... they say "it's snow of the past winter" (Menneen talven lumia).

20. The Finns don't "bite the dust"...they "kick the emptiness" (Potkaista tyhjää).

The finnish language also has some traps for newbies. The small diaereses here and there in the finnish language, make a huge difference.
- "Näin ystäväni" = I saw my friend (briefly somewhere, didn't get in contact with him/her)
- "Näin ystävääni" = I saw my friend (and hanged out with him/her)
- "Nain ystäväni" = I got married with my friend
- "Nain ystävääni" = I had sex with my friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or0bohcTulI

Because finnish is such a difficult easy language, most finns are adept at many other languages as well.
Most finns speak fluid english, and know at least the basics of swedish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy1AS41ecHk

The finns are also very proud to have always been one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world. Broadband Internet access in Finland was launched commercially in 2000 in the form of ADSL, and by 2013 commercial fiber optics based connections have become commonplace in major city areas usually distributed in house by VDSL2, speeds of 100/10 Mbit/s usually costing under €50 and often available by multiple competing ISPs offered in different packaging. More and more rural towns also have fiber available to residents by government supported and resident self organized projects.

Probably one of the best known Finnish brands used to be Nokia -phones. Which everyone actually thought came from Japan. And we eventually sold them off to Microsoft for a quick buck.

Finland is also known for it's heavy music scene.
In the picture is an average Finnish youngster caring for his flowers. 

Lexa

FINLAND:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuWvAvCcnts

Jatkan edelleen tämän ketjun päivittämistä ja muokkaamista vähän kerrallaan, mutta saatte te muutkin hei osallistua jos haluatte :psycho:
(I will keep on updating and editing this topic, but feel free to join in everyone, if you want :psycho: )

The Änes

Poistin turhan kommenttini välistä kun pilasi hienon aloituksen :sorry:

l am the bastard son - evil inborn, Satan in tip-top, from head to toe
Just look at me, sense my blitz, down riding route 666

I was born to lose but Im built for booze..

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 356 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

What is the most visible color in our forum?:
What is the name of this forum?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview